Virginia Beach United Methodist Church, located at Pacific Avenue at 19th Street, Virginia Beach, VA 23451, dates back to 1911, when a little band of worshippers met in Galilee Episcopal Chapel at 18th Street and Oceanfront.
On March 16, 1912, property was purchased for $350.00 on the present site and the first church was begun. On October 24, 1915, with fifty charter members, the church was dedicated. In 1948, the educational building was added.
The first church was razed in 1952; and on October 5 of that year, the cornerstone for a new building was laid. More property was purchased in 1959 to make room for a new educational building. 1959 through the present day, additional properties surrounding the church property have been purchased to enable the congregation to remain in its present location and be "Beacons of Christ's redeeming love and hope at the Oceanfront and throughout Virginia Beach."
With a growing congregation, in 1980 plans were developed for the construction of a new, larger church, and on May 22, 1983 the new church was started. October 7, 1984 the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary. Immediately, the renovations were started on the 1952 sanctuary, converting it into new administrative offices and Church Schoolrooms. Work on this project was completed by late May of 1985.
In January of 1985, work was begun on the installation of the church's first pipe organ, and was used for the first time on Sunday, March 17, 1985. A Service of Consecration by Bishop Blackburn was held on Sunday, April 14, 1985.
The women of the church had long realized that major improvements were needed in our church kitchen, and on December 8, 1985 approval was given for this project to begin. An up-to-date kitchen was completed in the fall of 1986, and is currently in use, providing the church with the opportunity to expand its programs and outreach in an unlimited fashion.
With Sunday School classes bursting at the seams and nowhere to start new classes, the congregation decided it was time to build again! The 1952 sanctuary structure and the little chapel were demolished to make room for the new three-story addition, completed in October, 1999. This facility accommodates classrooms and most staff offices, a children's multipurpose room, a state-of-the-art music department, a nursery, a conference room, workrooms, and a small chapel.
In 1997, we purchased an adjacent Night club on Pacific Avenue. After extensive renovation to the building by volunteers of the congregation, we were able to greatly expand our Urban Ministries program. Through the years, our congregation has chosen to remain at the oceanfront, believing that God's mission for us begins here.